Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The State of Better Rock Music

It’s got to be hard being a record executive of a certain age.  I don’t mean from the “these kids and their music stealing are killing us” perspective; I mean from the “most of the stuff we put out is Auto Tune crap, so we need to put out a few critically acclaimed Rolling Stone/Paste fodder albums, but this is all we have” perspective.  Remember when a recording label signed R.E.M. to a kajillion dollar contract in the 1990’s just so they could have a prestige artist? Since the few remaining critically acclaimed major label prestige rock artists (U2, R.E.M., Beck, Weezer, Beastie Boys) only put out an album every few years, the labels have to take a shot on some new Paste-fodder artists and see what sticks.

This week, nothing sticks. First, I listened to the JP, Chrissie and the Fairground Boys album, Fidelity.  It’s Chrissie Hynde – instant credibility.  That said, the guy with her sounds like a Welsh version of JT Fortune (the guy who won the Rock Star TV show and got to sing for INXS) mixed with some Ben Folds.  Every second that doesn’t sound like a Chrissie Hynde solo album detracts from the record (although the lyrics are pretty good).  It’s OK, but not as good as it should have been (and not as good as a current Pretenders effort).

I also downloaded the new album by Ray Montagne and the Pariah Dogs.  It’s folkish with a little bit of a funky rhythmic beat. (an acoustic Little Feat??)  I never liked Wilco, and I don’t like this. It’s well recorded, but almost too much so.     

On the brighter side, I read that a live album from a Yaz 2008 reunion tour (that I didn’t know about) comes out next month. 

Two very busy days of work.  Jake loves school – so much so that he’s exhausted at bedtime.  The dog is getting fixed today.  Bummer for him.

Not a lot of bone pain today.  My lungs still aren’t perfect.  During my all-day mediation yesterday, my client (a physician) noticed that I start to wheeze as the day goes on.  I’m supposed to try a longer group run tomorrow evening.  That thought gave me all the excuse I needed to hop off the treadmill this evening after only 15 minutes of slow miserable jogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment