Saturday, August 7, 2010

Back to the healthy blog

Now that I have declared myself healthy and recuperated, I’m switching over to the neglected family blog to express my nerdness.

The hernia site and the shoulder both still hurt (sometimes a lot), but I’m tired of acting like a patient.  Accordingly, I’ve ridden my bike every day:

Tues. – 38 miles

Wed. – 30 miles

Thurs – 38 miles

Fri. – 30 miles

Saturday – 55 miles

I’ve also been running 2 miles a day on the treadmill, but that sucks.

When I get on the bike, I have to will away the abdomen pain, but it deadens in 10 minutes or so.

Riding is different than before.  I can stay in the front pack, but it requires more aerobic work because I’m much less muscular than before.  That means I get more tired.

Getting back on the bike has allowed me to hold the stereo-upgrade urge at bay for the week.  I’ve had this incredible urge to buy an old pair of AR-9s, which were the mother of all speakers in 1980.  Is it worth $1300?  I stopped into one of the local stereo stores to see what $1300 worth of modern-day speakers sounds like.  Unfortunately, that store has converted 100% to computer based music, so they couldn’t play the cd I brought and couldn’t hook in my Zune.  The speakers sounded good, but I didn’t have my own music to compare the sound with home.

Jen’s Mom is staying over for a week. She’s great – the only downside is the inability to get a midnight snack in my underwear.

Today’s music- Gary McFarland Orchestra w/guest Bill Evans, on the original 1963 Impulse vinyl. (I had a record store visit on Thursday).

No comments:

Post a Comment