Thursday, August 26, 2010

The new normal

Jake had to come home from school because of a bad tummy.  This happened a lot last year, and the last trip to Gainesville was supposed to result in a solution (or at least some suggestions).  Of course, by the time I get home from work his stomach has long-since calmed, so I don’t have a full appreciation of the bad phases.  I’m really saddened that it started back up.  He really likes school, so I know it’s disappointing for him too.

I skipped biking because of the morning rain, and have an early morning hearing tomorrow.  I try not to skip two days in a row, because it makes me cranky.  Ooops -  I forgot that I’m always cranky now.  I feel and look like a 45 year old retired running back. Only some people understand that reference, but most people nod sympathetically.

My final cassette deck came in the mail.  It’s a Denon 730.  It was only $9.99, but it took forever to arrive and required an eBay/PayPal dispute to finally get sent.

I ordered an awesome box of 60 “Living Stereo” Classical music albums through a new Japanese reissue.  I’ve been trying out some 1950’s mono classical albums, and they’re not bad.  The 1950’s early stereo classical recordings (RCA Living Stereo and “shaded dogs” and Mercury “Living Presence” come to mind) are famous for their great performances and great sound.  I met a local audiophile who is into ultra headphone audio, so that should be interesting.  I like headphones, but have never sprung for (or experienced) state of the art.

The dog is home after getting fixed.  He’ll have the collar on all week, so he’s kind of gawky.  It’s very disconcerting when I hear a fast plastic scratching sound in the middle of the night when he itches the collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment