Thursday, August 19, 2010

A cromulent moment

A very funny work moment.  I had something (over)due for a few days.  I did a two page outline, and emailed it to my associate.  The email said:

“I did this quickly and roughly.  Please englishify it.   Look – I created a word.  How cromulent!”

I later spoke to her and received an absolutely blank expression.  It turns out that not one person in my office understood.  Where do they educate these people?

I then emailed the message to two of my former partners, with the message “This is why I miss you guys”.  Chris Carver immediately responded:

“You need to embiggen their perspective”.

I laughed so hard I spit up the coffee I was drinking.

If none of this makes any sense, you need more culture.

Music of the Moment – Stevie Wonder, Innervisions (on the original vinyl).  Just to clarify one point – I listen to a lot of vinyl because I own a lot of vinyl.  There are a number of new vinyl audiophile re-releases of classic albums based on the theory that they sound better.  While I like the sound of good vinyl, it’s not a cult thing for me.  When I occasionally buy a new vinyl album re-release at the record store (like the Blue Note $12.00 rerelease series), it’s because I don’t have the album in any format and the price isn’t substantially different than the cd.  Many of the new audiophile re-releases are $35 to $50, and that just doesn’t work for me.  What I do love is finding used minty vinyl albums that (1) I don’t have on cd; or (2) haven’t been released on cd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment