Thursday, September 16, 2010

Starting the Advil early

I went to the orthopedist yesterday, and he said I could resume working with my trainer.  I’m supposed to concentrate on stretching rather than weights, and I’m supposed to let pain be my guide. The docs says that I don’t need to do the deep massage stuff that caused me to quit going to physical therapy.

I went to the gym for a workout circuit attempt.  I did some machine-based lifting and some of my old core sit-up-ish exercises.  It turns out I don’t have any core strength, and not much strength anywhere else.  I guess I’ll also add some lower body workouts to the previous pre-injury routine.  I didn’t previously do lower body stuff, because I didn’t need to. Now I do. I start back with my trainer on Tuesday, and it’s gonna hurt.

It was a busy week at work, and Jake’s tummy’s been on and off, so not much home news to report.  I did fly to Key West on Tuesday.  I flew out on the last day before they opened the Sky Train at the Miami Airport American Airlines terminal.  The walk from security to the Key West gate is 1.25 miles on a hard concrete non-carpeted floor.  Ouch.  

No running this week.  A little biking.  I hope to get some miles in this weekend.  It’s clear that I won’t be physically ready to do my half-Ironman duathlon events in November.  My running isn’t improving quickly enough, and I am not physically capable of bending into the triathlon bike position.  My ego won’t let me do the event on a regular road bike, because that gives up 2+ mph due to wind resistance.

At night I have been crashing in the den and listening to music while Jake goes to sleep.  I downloaded the new Weezer, Linkin Road and Heart albums, and so far the Heart album is the best of the lot.  It’s much less power-ballad poppy than their 1990’s work, which is good.  I made some cassette tapes of the albums if anybody wants them.  I could burn them to cd, but I choose not to.  I’ve also been catching up with some classical and jazz backlog.  I’m not crazy about the latest Esperanza Spalding album.  It gets a lot of hype as a jazz/soul release with some classical overtones, but it’s a little too shoe-gaze for me.   So far so good on the new main speakers, but I don’t get to listen to them much because they aren’t conducive to Jake bedtime and he spends every waking minute in the main room with the TV on in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment