Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not much of a tropical storm

It looks like the threatened tropical storm won't do much damage. This is good, because I don't have the physical wherewithal to put up our hurricane shutters. We have the old "slat" kind, and we only have enough to cover 2 of our 20 windows. I guess we could have sprung for some nice roll-down shutters, but we got a pool and a yip dog instead. Now that we have a pool, I can threaten to throw the outdoor patio furniture into the pool as a hurricane precaution. Bryan Norcross says you aren't supposed to do this, but at least now I have the opportunity.

Jake had a good week. He didn't miss school last week (although he missed it yesterday). Jen was busy on a bunch of errands, but nothing that merits blog notation. I puttered about at work and did my morning bike rides. I would have blogged sooner, but there wasn't much going on.

One weekend disappointment. We took Jake and a friend to Tropical Chinese for dim sum, and he hated it. Very disappointing, because that takes it out of our arsenal for easy weekend food.

On the other hand, I'm always happy to blog about my battles with the stereo. The pre-amp section on the new/old McIntosh amp is dying, so now I'm using my old Pioneer receiver as a preamp. That means there's even more stuff hooked up, and more stuff lights up at night. Cool. I had to order some cables so I could string up a second turntable for mono playback. The McIntosh has a "mono" switch and two turntable hookups, but my modern (1990) Pioneer receiver has neither.

I have decided to skip/defer the two fall 70.3 Ironman events to which I had registered. I'm just not there yet. I'm switching my December Palm Beach Marathon entry from a full-marathon to a half-marathon, and even that is tenuous. On the other hand, I get stronger every day on the bike. I'm not recovered, but I still get mad if I'm not in the lead group. I started working with my trainer yesterday, and it hurt like heck. It's a necessary evil, at least until I get symmetrical.

New music pick of the week - Doobie Brothers, World Gone Crazy (2010). It just came out. It sounds like it's from 1975, in a good way. More Tom Johnston vocals, less Michael McDonald blue-eyed soul.

Old music pick of the week - David Oistrakh, Violin Concertos by Prokofiev, Leclair, Locatell (1955). Mono only, never released on cd (and never released in stereo). Excellent playing; works well in mono. I am always amused by the fact that the spelling of many Russian composers and performers has changed from the 1950's albums until today. Prokofieff?? Prokofief? Prokofyev?

No comments:

Post a Comment