Sunday, August 16, 2009

One more week 'til school starts

We had a very nice week. Friday we attended the 5th Anniversary party for the Joe Dimaggio Pediatric Dialysis Center. (We paid for much of it) We met a bunch of transplant alumni, and they all seem to be doing well. They all continue to drink massive quantities of fluid every day, but none of them have that sunken eye dialysis look. For most of them, you'd never know they have health problems.

Yesterday was a five hour Yu Gi Oh tournament. He loved it. Someday, I'll dread going, but for now I get a sense of satisfaction watching our allegedly brain damaged kid duel with the older kids. He does well in the preliminary rounds, but gets beat in the playoff rounds. Nobody wants to duel him (the pairings are computer-generated), because there's no upside to beating a 9 year old and a loss is embarrassing. He did meet a 10 year old player, so those two spent most of their time dueling each other.

Jake got his new bedroom set, and really likes it. I offered to put a laptop computer in his room, but he advised me that "the dialysis laptop sucks". I reformatted it, and he's now pleased to have it.

He's been swimming every day, so he's got a ton of freckles despite SPF 80. He has swimming lessons a few times a week, and is quickly making up for lost time.

We have our big office move on Thursday. I have a bunch of hearings this week, so I'll miss much of the excitement.

I'm still shopping for a high end Italian bike frame (looking at a Guerciotti) and a used classic VW Bug. I want both and need neither.

Both of my soccer teams (Everton and Aston Villa) got crushed in week one action. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment